At the beginning of a play there is a point of inactivity; a point of equilibrium in which nothing has happened to move the characters or plot forward. Everything is what it is and there are no forces that try to change it. This is called the stasis of the play. As soon as something disrupts the stasis, the inciting incident, its like a mad dash to the finish line. The play is thrown into chaos and until the conflict is resolved, there can be no end. Once it is resolved, the end can either reach a new stasis - the characters and situation are changed - or it can go back to the original stasis.
For the past few months, I have been waiting in stasis for my inciting incident. It's nothing I'd like to get into now (and it would take more than a few beers to get me talking about it) but it's something that has been on the back of my mind during the day and even occasionally invades my sleep. It's nothing that is dominating my life but it's more or less one of those "what is going on?" questions.
Here's the interesting part. It has been bothering me for the past couple of months... but not right now. See, since I got home I have forgotten about it entirely! This morning, I was singing and riding bicycles and vomiting sunshine (as I normally do) when I realized that I haven't once thought about it since I have been home. Maybe its because I have dewlt (is that even a word?) upon it for far too long or maybe its because I am home, but it is nice to be out of my head for a while. Its like taking a break from reality. I know there is a good chance this won't continue but as of now... I don't care.
Today I plan on finally writing this abstract that I've been "working on" for the past month and a half so I can finally get it in and maybe go to a conference and present my findings! Here's hoping that I won't do my usual I'll-do-this-later-but-not-really-do-it-ever-whoops-now-I-pooped-my-pants-but-wait-I-think-I'll-just-sit-in-my-own-crap-until-I-feel-like-getting-up... 'Cause I do that often...
In other news, my cousin's wife's water just broke an hour ago! AWESOME!
Martine Out
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

yaaay breaking water! boy or girl?
ReplyDeletewoooooooooooo that all sounded confusing but interesting
ReplyDelete