Anyway, every now and then, I have a lingering thought. Am I learning anything from Ithaca? Is there any reason for me to be $20 thousand+ in debt plus paying $46 thousand a semester? To be honest, I look at the classes for my major in the theatre department and just sigh. I sometimes believe I could be learning more somewhere else.
However, every so often I am thrown a curve ball that reminds me I am not just paying for the classes, but the experiences and opportunities.
About two months ago, I submitted an abstract on the utilization of a psychology theory in theatre to a convention all the way in Wisconsin. Two days ago, I recieved the response:
Dear Martine Baruch, et al:
Thank you for your abstract submission, Priming the Audience. Your abstract clearly illustrated your hard work in this field of study. The large volume of abstracts we received made the selection process highly competitive. The members of the Abstract Review Committee regret to inform you that your abstract was not accepted for presentation at NCUR 2009.
All abstracts were reviewed by a panel of faculty experts and the panel members indicated the quality of workmanship was outstanding. We applaud your research efforts and wish you future success.
Sincerely,
The NCUR 2009 Abstract Review Committee
www.uwlax.edu/ncur2009
I have never been so happy to recieve a rejection letter! Also, I have learned several things about myself and my life decisions:
- First, I feel like being a total dork and quoting the Futurama episode when Bender meets God.
I feel this applys to my life. I am in a constant state of indifference and laziness. But the response I have gotten from my abstract has made me realize that I might not be as indifferent and lazy as I thought I was. This abstract has made me reflect on the past; I have applied myself many times in the past and recieved extraordinary results. I now realize that I am not so apathaetic. I just don't sweat the small stuff. I see whats worth fighting for and whats important and then go to it. At times, it seems like I have done nothing at all, but then I realize that I have had many accomplishments. The only thing I wish I would do is avoid procrastination, but I don't see it as a big problem. Besides, you know what they say, "Heroes always come late."
- I am in the right major. I fully enjoyed writing the abstract.
- I know exactly what could've gotten me a spot in the convention but I was too afraid to take that risk when I wrote the abstract. I cannot hesitate again. If I know what I want and know how to get it, I need to go for it and pull out all the stops.
- I don't really care so much about grades. I never have. Maybe its because I never studied hard, or maybe its because no matter how hard I would study, I am not able to get that perfect GPA. I have come to realize that in a Liberal degree, grades matter on one end of the spectrum, but probably equally important (if not more) is how a person applies what he learns. I have proven that even though I get mediocre grades, I can still excel! By the way, I'm not one of those people who says they get okay grades but really get a 3.6 GPA. I have about a 2.8 GPA.
- Finally (and probably most importantly), this school is perfect for me. I love the people I've met. I love the chance I've gotten to double major in music and theatre. I love the climate (SNOWBOARDING THIS WEEKEND HOPEFULLY!). There is no reason for me to change schools. I may not be paying so much for the classes as I am the opportunities I am given and just as important, the school, my professors, and my peers are so supportive. Its expensive here, and I'm proabably going to be poor for my life, but I don't really care. Its what a man does and not his money that makes his worth.
Here's to the future.
Later.

yayyyyy good stuff sometimes i think im wasting time in college too but its fun wasting time!
ReplyDeletegreat reflections, i enjoy hearing about your improvements and realizations. i do hope you apply yourself more thoroughly in school, even though you always claim youre studying whenever i talk to you!
ReplyDeletealso, im glad to hear that you submitted that abstract to a board in wisconsin. of course i dont understand it, and i wish you told me about it, but that is completely not lazy and im a little jealous. i spammed your comment section.
ReplyDelete