Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Sin

Maybe it is the psychologist in me - or maybe it is just the actor - but I am always trying to analyze people. I love to see what makes them tick.

While watching Full Metal Alchemist, I looked at each of the homunculus and tried to understand how their sin manifests. Pride, the Fuhrer, had status and looked down upon everyone. Envy was jealous of the love Ed and Al had earned from their father and thus wanted to kill him so no one would have his love. Lust earned the adoration of several men and she would toy with hearts. Wrath hated his mother for turning him into what he was and hated Ed for having the body he needed. Sloth, was not only slow to act and move, but she also was willing to kill her own "sons" to see if she would feel anything at all. Pride wanted eternal life and everything he could get his hands on, and Gluttony... well... ate everything.

By the end of the show, I started to ask the question, "What if everyone was dominated by a single sin? What if there was one sin that manifests itself in every single person and makes them act the way they do?" I began to examine people in this way to see if it is true.

This is not an easy task, as some sins overlap. Before I was able to identify the sin in people, I had to identify the sins:

1) Pride -
  • Overly-high self-esteem
  • Generally looks down on everyone
  • Sees himself as perfect

2) Lust -
  • Toys with people's emotions
  • Manipulates people

3) Gluttony -
  • Over-indulges in pleasures

4) Envy - (Similar to Greed)
  • Wants what other people have
  • If he can't have what he wants, he doesn't want anyone to have it

5) Greed - (Similar to Envy)
  • Wants what other people have
  • Will try anything to get what other people have
6) Wrath -
  • Generally angry
  • Lashes at other people

7) Sloth -
  • Apathetic
  • Last to react
So after I isolated what it means to have each sin, I was able to start analyzing people to see what sin controls their lives. However, before this, I wanted to discover the sin that runs my life.

A few personal beliefs about the Seven Deadly Sins

  • Everyone has a sin.
  • Only one sin is more dominant than the rest. You cannot be both Lustful and Greedy. I do, however believe that sins can be used to fuel your overall sins. For example, if you are Greed, you can use lust to get what you want.
  • You do not keep the same sin throughout your life. That is to say it is possible to switch sins as you grow.
  • I do not believe they are "Deadly." On the contrary, I think it is what keeps us from unraveling and keeps us human. That said, I do believe that it is important to identify what sin you personify and how it helps and hinders you.
I plan on disclosing what sin I am. I just wanted to explain this thought first.

By the way, this was a post I have wanted to write up for the longest time but as posts in general, I didn't want to post it without feeling it first. Recent events, especially the New Year, have drawn it out of me.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I'm a little Pride, a little Lust, and a little Wrath (well sometimes, a lot Wrath...) What do you think? Any of those particularly stand out for me?

    I know yours. :)

    Btw...I miss full metal. We really need to watch that movie!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm not going to lie martine...i am not a fan of this entry, lol. maybe this is my inner demons (or "sins" as you put it) getting defensive, but i don't see why we have to assume that everyone has one, and only one, material/mortal flaw that possesses his/her entire being and motivates every action.

    1) why do you think there can only be one dominant sin and no overlap - i know that in my case, i cannot identify with solely one sin and struggle with a wide spectrum of all of those sins
    2) why must every action only be motivated by the given sin; can't people have actions based on other things, more noble things other than "their sin"
    3) if these supposed all-controlling sins motivate every action, how can a good action ever come from anyone? there have been many positive acts in the world, so in what ways do sins manifest themselves in those situations?

    i get what you're saying, and maybe i don't fully understand where you're coming from, but i would like to discuss this when we get back or sooner perhaps via message on facebook?

    p.s. don't take offense to anything i said...merely playing devil's advocate...pun?...eeeeeekkkksss

    ReplyDelete