Friday, December 26, 2008

Reflections on Christmas

Since you asked Mikey, here you go .

Christmas this year was a mixed bag.

My parents got me a kick-ass art book that I desperately need for directing (and for looking at when I am bored), my sister got me a Chinese yo-yo that I am going to master by the end of break, and my brother sent me Heroes Season 1. This, however, is where my Christmas gets kinda sucky.

My brother, as everyone probably knows by now, is performing on a cruise ship sailing around the Caribbean and while this is a great first job and I am so happy for him, I spent my first Christmas without him. It first really hit me how much I miss him when I opened his present (one of his favorite shows that he has been pushing on me for a year now). Then five minutes later, we were taking our yearly family photo in front of the tree, and I was reminded of his absence again. In fact, for the rest of the day, I was constantly reminded of him and the worst part of it all was that I couldn't call him, I couldn't text him, I couldn't see him.

But, I also acknowledge that he was just as sad seeing as how I sort of talked to him a few days ago about it. By the way, apparently he had to march around the boat playing Jingle Bells and Sleigh Ride for an hour on Christmas Morning. Bummer. He isn't going to be coming back until late March. I really miss him.

The other part of Christmas that was really sucky was, well, the fact that the people I care about the most are spread all across New York and even though we are in the season of sharing with the people that you love, I was unable to share it with any of them. However I know I was sharing it with them in spirit and to make matters better, I will be both riding out the old year, and ringing in the new year with them.

But as I said, my Christmas was a mixed bag and with the bad came the good. I got home last night around six, had a few beers, talked to Mikey and Lauren, and then shared the rest of the night with great friends. We saw The Curious Case of Benjamin Button which was albeit a bit long, was really a fantastic movie.

Did I ever tell you I've been struck by lightning seven times? One time I was just getting my mail.

5 comments:

  1. hahaha you really did write about seeing the movie. Damn it. such a great movie though.

    but when I read this for the first time, I thought you had gotten struck by lightning 7 times... yeahh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :( for the brother; :) for new years :)))))

    ReplyDelete
  3. poo on the absence of your brother...pee on missing your brother...puke on none of us sharing christmas together...
    .....bunnies and rainbows on the fact that we will all have new years together! so excited!

    bring heroes when you come to Long Island!

    I have "It's Always Sunny..." seasons 1 - 3!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha benjamin button soooooooooo goood!!!!!

    ReplyDelete