Wow, I haven't posted in a while...
So after a crazy weekend in Vorhees, NJ at my cousin's Bat Mitzvah, I am finally home for the break.
I will never understand the effects of a shower on me. People occasionally notice that I take a long time in the shower, and I never really explain why. That said, I feel compelled to explain it right here. I do some of my best thinking in the shower. There is something about the massaging effect of water on my head that really stimulates my mind. I have had many epiphanies there. For this reason, I not only make sure to take showers when I know I have enough time to take my time, but I also take showers when I know I need to do some thinking.
However, there are occasions when I am showering and an unexpected thought will arise. Hence the reason I am writing this.
As I was showering today, I had a strange thought about the future and my career path. Two weeks ago I auditioned for a B.A. in Music. Three days later, I found out that I got the major. Hence, I am double majoring in B.A. in Drama and B.A. in Music. This is where the problem begins. When putting these two majors to use in real life, they add up to almost nothing. For those who don't know, a B.A. (Bachelor of Arts) is the most general degree you can get in a field. I love the irony in this because I wanted to originally audition for a B.F.A in Musical Theatre but my parents were worried that I would graduate and be "unable to do anything else but act." However, with my two majors, I am going to graduate "unable to do anything." I will have a degree in theatre but no specific training in any theatre concentration. I will have a degree in music but no specific training in any music concentration.
Here is where my epiphany comes in. See, I cannot imagine myself in any career that would force me to sit in a desk all day and even though I do not have a set career when I graduate, I am extremely happy with my life decision. Because I am getting the most general degrees, I am free to get a rounded education to my choosing. If I want to throw some psychology classes in there, I can! If I want to through in some biology classes, so be it! I am able to really choose what I want to learn and if I chose with some intellegence, I know I can pick the classes that might help me in the future.
To be honest, I feel like I am writing myself a blank check for the future. I will go whereever the wind will take me. Whatever job I end up in (although my top priority is a theatre job), will be good enough for me. Money, which I feel only holds people down, is no object to me. No necessity to me.
Don't take this the wrong way, for I do have aspirations. I only am saying that I am prepared to take what life throws at me and throw it right back at life. I will use my education to the best of my ability and make sure that all of it is useful to me.
I have a smart head on my sholders and because I am not pidgeon holing myself, I know I will succeed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Isn't it nice not having a solid plan? I had a plan all through high school and through freshman year... I don't have a plan anymore. I'm going to graduate with a B.A. in French and go where that takes me. It's a nice feeling. I'll call you tonight so we can talk finally :)
ReplyDeleteha yeah youll be fine i doubt i can do anything with my degree either other than teach
ReplyDeleteum...i'm so happy for you that you came to the conclusion you did. this optimism is glorious and is correct. You are so free to take whatever comes at you (twss) in life with your double major. Not to complain or view my own degree in a negative light, but, with my degree I will need to get a job in music ed, essentially. There is not much room for anything else, which would suck if I weren't absolutely positive that that's what I want to spend my career doing. anyway, good for you and i'm glad you came to that realisation! :)
ReplyDeletethe best part about the future is how unplanned and unpredictable it is! woo! i was going to say something else, but i forget
ReplyDelete